Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Psyching Myself Out

PESCARA, ITALY - JUNE 28: Tarek Abdelazim of Egypt competes in the men's 77 kg Clean & Jerk during the 2009 Mediterranean Games on June 28, 2009 in Pescara, Italy. (Photo by Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty Images)

We did a 1RM front squat today.  Though I got a PR (205#, up from 195#), I felt like I could have done more.  My rack position is a lot better than it used to be.  My hip flexibility is better, and I'm stronger as well.  I probably could have done 225# (or at least 215#).  So what gives???

I psyched myself out.

The 205# was hard, but I felt pretty strong doing it though.  I had two problems.  The first is that I came a little forward onto the balls of my feet as I was coming up.  I doubted my flexibility and ability to make the higher lift as a result.  The second item was that I tried changing to a crossover grip for a 225# attempt.  It just felt weird.  This also added to the doubt that I could make 225#.  Looking back, given my state of mind at the time, I think it was a good call to stop where I did.  I didn't have the confidence that I would make 225#.  If I don't 'know' that I'm going to make a lift, then I'm not going to make the lift whether I attempt it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment